• November 28Final Exams Dec. 13-15!

• September 22Float Building Every Tues. and Thurs. Night!

• September 22Homecoming Game Oct. 6!

Forensic Science Lessons from Livermore Lab

Trisha Esguerra, Reporter

Lawrence Livermore National Laboratory scientists visited the Grand Theatre Center for the Arts in Tracy for a free one-hour presentation on Sept. 23, 2017. The presentation “Forensic Science in Crisis: How Proteins Can Help” was held mainly for young students, both in middle and high school.
Forensic science is applied to crime scenes and can be used to find evidence through investigations in DNA and proteins. Students from Kimball High School heard about the event from their chemistry and/or physics class. The topic about forensic science grabbed students’ attention, and teachers were willing to give extra credit to their students if they were to attend. The event in the Grand Theatre consisted mostly high school students than middle school. Kara Asuncion says mostly Tracy High students were present. Although, Asuncion believes that she will not be majoring in the forensic science, she expresses that she was able to get something out of it. “I learned about the processes behind forensic science and how it is applied in real life. It is amazing that so many people were wrongly convicted due to subjective forensic data” Asuncion says.
The hour long presentation has helped the students in tracking down what their interests are when it comes to career choices. It helped benefit many in figuring out on what they want to major in. “It benefits me because I have an interest in majoring in chemistry,” Kayla Naldo, a junior at Kimball High says. It helped in giving an outlook about forensic science to students and to determine if that is something they want to pursue later in the future.