• October 6Homecoming Game!

• September 22Homecoming Night Rally is Oct. 4!

• September 22Powderpuff Game Oct. 2!

Tuesday, September 12, 2017

Kimball’s Kick-off Week kicks off today

A series of dress-up days and lunch time activities for Kick-off Week will culminate with Friday’s home football games vs. Tracy High. Leaderships’ dress-up days include:

Today – Travel Tuesday

Wednesday – Wacky Wednesday (mismatch)

Thursday – #memeday

Friday – Extreme Orange & Blue

The spirit week ends Friday with a sixth-period double rally in the Athletic Complex, followed by the junior varsity football game at 5:15 p.m., and the varsity football game at 7:15 p.m., at Don Nicholson Stadium.

Literary Journal offers contest

The first Kimball Literary Journal contest of the new school year is beginning. This month’s theme is “The Best of Both Worlds.” The campus club will take any form of writing or art submissions so long as it is not copyrighted material and is school appropriate. Please keep writing to 1,000 words or less. The contest ends on Sept. 26 by 11:59 p.m. Send submissions to khslitjournal@yahoo.com or hand-deliver to Mr. Eddy in J4.

Donate blood Monday

Kimball HOSA and the American Red Cross club are hosting a blood drive Monday. One donation saves up to three lives. Donors must be at least 16 years old (weighing 115 pounds or more) or 17-plus years old (weighing at least 110 pounds). To donate blood, students can pick up a permission form from Mr.

Medek in E1 or see a HOSA or Red Cross member. Forms must be returned to Mr. Medek in E1 before Sept. 18 so a donation time can be assigned. Cookies, drinks, T-shirts, and two hockey tickets for the Stockton Heat will be given to those who donate blood.

Homecoming floats assembled tonight

Class float building for Kimball Homecoming begins tonight. It will be held every Tuesday and Thursday from 6 to 8 p.m. in the class adviser’s room. Freshmen- Trombley (room to be determined)

Sophomores- Mason G2

Juniors- Pendleton N1

Seniors- Graham G7

Art Club organizes

Kimball’s first Art Club meeting will be from 3:15 to 4 p.m., Wednesday, in N6. Discussion will center on meeting times, frequency, elections and goals for the school year. Students with questions should see Mr. Gregory in N6.

Student scientists meet

Kimball’s Science Olympiad team will have its first meeting of the school year after school Thursday in D4.

First ICC gathering Thursday

A representative or adviser from all clubs on campus must attend the first ICC meeting after school Thursday in N1. Discussion will be about upcoming homecoming activities.

Senior yearbook photos finale Monday

Last call for senior yearbook photos is Monday. Photo appointments will begin after school. Seniors who still need to take a yearbook photo will receive a postcard and/or email from Prestige Photo with an appointment time. Seniors are unable to make the assigned appointment must contact Prestige Photo directly at (916) 844-1227 to reschedule.

CSF applications due

Kimball scholars, Mr. Wall is accepting applications for CSF. He will take the applications in H9 until Sept. 22. Students may turn them into him before or after school. Students need three pieces of paper: the application, a receipt for the $5 fee paid to the school’s bookkeeper, and a copy of their transcript from the counselor’s office. Students must submit the $5 fee to the bookkeeper by Sept. 18 to ensure membership.

College financial aid filled out

Planning for college next year? Looking for information about financial aid.  Come to the Cash for College Financial Aid Workshop, from 4 to 7 p.m., Oct. 5, in J7 and J8.  This will be a chance to obtain help filling out the FAFSA application, California Dream Act application, and Cal/Pell grants.

School tutors meet

Kimball is offering students an excellent opportunity to provide tutoring services to elementary school students for community service hours. An information session will be held at 3:20 p.m., Sept. 21, in the Career Center. Students must sign up with Mrs. Sillivan in the counseling department,

PSAT/NMSQT study guide on sale

Registration for the Preliminary SAT and National Merit Qualifying Test has begun at Kimball for juniors and seniors only. The test costs $20 and will be given from 8:30 a.m. to 12:30 p.m., Oct. 11, in the Athletic Complex. Students who pre-ordered their study guides should see the bookkeeper before school or after school and/or during lunch period. October 6 is the final day to register for the exams and purchase a study guide. For more information, see student counselors. Kaplan will once again bring students PSAT Prep Live, the only free, live PSAT prep program available to students online. Sign up and gain instant access to quizzes and practice tests for the PSAT. Then join in beginning Sept. 23 for live lessons. Get free prep at www.kaptest.com/psatpreplive

.Book club goes graphic

Ms. Schneider, Kimball’s teacher/librarian, is sponsoring a book club for interested students. Every month, there will be a different type of book. The club will meet two times each month, once while members are reading and once when they’re done to discuss the books everyone has been reading. September, it’s all about graphic novels. Students interested in reading and talking about graphic novels should go to the school library to check one out: it has a lot of them, on all kinds of topics, such as biography, LGBTQ+, superheroes, anime and manga, history, careers, true stories, fiction. The book club will meet Sept. 27, at both lunches and after school. Come join.

Need grad credits? Try Tracy Adult School

Kimball seniors or juniors needing to make up credits should visit their school counselor as soon as possible. Tracy Adult School has started….it’s not too late to enroll.

Work permits must be renewed

All work permits from summer or last school year have expired. Please come into the counseling office as soon as possible to get your new work permit request, or renewal for your current job from Mrs. Sillivan. Please keep in mind a work permit takes up to three school days once a request has been submitted.

Do’s, don’ts of recycle bins

Here’s Kimball’s school recycling do’s and don’ts.

Do:

-Use the blue bins to recycle

-Empty bottles/cans completely

-Recycle bottles

-Recycle cans -Recycle glass Don’t:

-Use the blue bins for trash

-Use the blue bins for food

-Put full or partially full bottles/cans in the blue bins

-Dump liquids in the blue bins

Restoration Center offers after-school tutoring

Kimball’s Restoration Center is again having after-school tutoring in math, history, science and English. The free tutoring sessions will be in K1 from 3:30 to 5:30 p.m., Tuesday, Wednesday, and Thursdays.

Interns sought by political group

The Congressional Leadership Fund, a conservative political organization working to support Republican Party candidates, is seeking summer and fall interns from Kimball High. Drew Thompson, Modesto field director for the organization, says the internship is great for students who wish to be more involved in politics and build their resume. The organization will work with students to get them high school/college credit and give recommendations to future employers or colleges. E-mail Thompson at dthompson@theclf.org for more details.

Dress code enforced

Kimball’s student dress code follows school district policy, and in doing so, is the same as at other Tracy high schools. Unacceptable clothing choices include, but are not limited to, the following:

Crude or vulgar lettering or images of: weapons, occult messages, drugs, tobacco, alcoholic beverages, racial/ethnic slurs, unauthorized group affiliation, sexually suggestive graphics, on shirts, sweatshirts and other apparel are not acceptable.

Such items as beach attire, nightwear, bedroom slippers, short shorts/skirts or unsafe accessories are not allowed.

No spandex or lycra material shorts, skirts, pants, or dresses.

No bottoms or splits are to be shorter than where the student’s fingertips reach when the arms and fingertips are fully extended on the sides.

Any clothing/accessory that may be deemed dangerous, i.e. chains, steel-toed boots, items with spikes or studs etc. are unacceptable.

Clothes, apparel or attire must be sufficient to conceal undergarments at all times. Clothing, apparel or attire that fails to provide adequate coverage of the body, including but not limited to see-through, fishnet fabrics, tops that do not touch the top of the pants/skirts, tank tops, tube tops, halter tops, bandeaus, racer backs, off the shoulder or low cut tops or dresses and sagging pants are not allowed.   No holes or tears that are revealing (i.e. tears above the finger tips).

Tank tops or T-shirts with cut outs under the arms are not allowed.

Clothing must fit or may be no larger than one size bigger.

Pants must be worn at the waist, not at the hips or thighs or below the buttocks.

No hair rollers, shower caps, bandannas, hair nets, skull caps, wave caps, or other such grooming items are allowed.

Students are not permitted to wear hats or other head coverings in class, assemblies, or at any indoor school function.

Sunglasses are not to be worn in the classroom.

Any student who deviates from the accepted standards set forth in this policy will be required to prepare properly for the classroom before being admitted and receive a dress code violation. Refusal to cooperate will result in disciplinary action.

K bathrooms restricted

The K Building bathrooms are only open to students before and after school and at lunch. Check your classroom bathroom pass to see which bathroom you can use.

Get to class on time

Students are urged to review the tardy policy in Kimball’s student handbook on page 21. The tardy count is by semester not by quarter. Students, make sure you are getting to classes on time since the school has six-minute passing periods.

Move away from quad after school

Students must move out of the campus quad area to the front of Kimball at least 25 minutes after the last bell. Students who have a club, athletic or tutoring obligation should be on the way to the designated activity by then.

Cell phone ban in bathrooms

Kimball’s cell phone ban in the classroom extends to the hallways and bathrooms when students are out of the classroom during classroom hours.

Don’t go past blue line

Blue lines have been painted on the pavement on the Kimball quad. Students need to stay within the boundary blue lines during lunch time. No student should be crossing the blue line unless he or she has a pass to attend a club meeting or are going to the library.

Don’t leave books in class

If a book is checked out to you, it is your responsibility to keep it with you and in good condition. Do not leave books behind in a classroom, even if your teacher says, “You can leave your books here” and points out a “safe spot.” Students are responsible for any books checked out to them, not their teachers.

Show your ID

Jaguars, be sure to have your student ID card with you at all times on campus.

Parking Permits

Students, please remember to park in the student section of the parking lot and be sure to have your parking pass visible.

Athletes in action  

# Kimball’s girls’ tennis team visits Oakdale High this afternoon.