• October 6Homecoming Game!

• September 22Homecoming Night Rally is Oct. 4!

• September 22Powderpuff Game Oct. 2!

Friday, September 22, 2017

Homecoming week is arriving soon

Kimball’s Homecoming Week is Oct. 2-6 with several major events on campus and in the community. The annual Powder Puff football game between the junior and senior girls is at 7 p.m., Monday, Oct. 2, at Don Nicholson Stadium. Wednesday, Oct. 4, is the annual night rally at 6:30 p.m., also at the stadium. Friday Oct. 6, will be a minimum school day with students released at 12:37 p.m. The homecoming parade in downtown Tracy begins at 3 p.m. The junior varsity and varsity football games are at 5 and 7:15 p.m., respectively, followed by the homecoming dance until 11:30 p.m. in the campus café.

Homecoming court voting on-line

Kimball students can go to kimball.voting4schools.com to vote for the homecoming court and finalists for king and queen and prince and princess for specific classes. The student username is you student ID# and the password is the student’s birthday. Students can vote for one boy and one girl through Friday night. The top three boys and top three girls from each class will then be announced next week, with the second round of voting beginning Tuesday. The members of the homecoming court will be announced during the night rally on Oct. 4. If anyone is having trouble logging on to kimball.voting4schools.com to vote for homecoming candidates should email Ms. Pendleton (tpendleton@tusd.net) or stop by E6 before or after school.

CSF applications due

Kimball scholars, Mr. Wall is accepting applications for CSF. He will take the applications in H9 through today. Students may turn them into him before or after school. Students need three pieces of paper: the application, a receipt for the $5 fee paid to the school’s bookkeeper, and a copy of their transcript from the counselor’s office.

Senior sweatshirt pickup at lunch

Senior class sweatshirts are here. If you ordered a sweatshirt, go to the student store during lunch to pick it up. The table will be set up at both lunches today.

Science show on Saturday

A one-hour science presentation by Lawrence Livermore National Laboratory scientists for middle school and high school students is schedule Saturday. The show is at 10 a.m. at The Grand Theatre Center for Arts, 715 N. Central Ave., in Tracy. This Saturday’s program is Forensic Science in Crisis: How Proteins Can Help. For more information: education.llnl.gov.

PSAT prep online

Kaplan will once again bring students PSAT Prep Live, the only free, live PSAT prep program available to students online. Sign up and gain instant access to quizzes and practice tests for the PSAT. Then join in beginning Saturday for live lessons. Get free prep at www.kaptest.com/psatpreplive.

Water polo teams serve breakfast

All breakfast-loving, pancake-devouring, maple-syrup-chugging hungry people the Kimball he water polo teams are hosting a pancake and sausage breakfast fundraiser from 9 to 11:30 a.m., Saturday, at the Tracy Moose Lodge. All proceeds will go directly to the Kimball water polo program. Tickets cost $10 and can be purchased at the door of the event. The Moose Lodge is at 35 E. Sixth St.

Powder Puff practices go on

Powder Puff football players will practice from 6 to 7:30 p.m., Monday and Wednesday, on the Kimball softball diamonds.

Literary Journal offers contest

The first Kimball Literary Journal contest of the new school year is beginning. This month’s theme is “The Best of Both Worlds.” The campus club will take any form of writing or art submissions so long as it is not copyrighted material and is school appropriate. Please keep writing to 1,000 words or less. The contest ends on Tuesday by 11:59 p.m. Send submissions to khslitjournal@yahoo.com or hand-deliver to Mr. Eddy in J4.

Cal Grant opt out for seniors

Kimball will electronically submit information for every senior to the California Student Aid Commission so they may be considered for a Cal Grant award. Students who do not wish to have information submitted electronically can complete the opt-out form on the KHS website and return the completed form to: Mary Alfano, registrar at Kimball, by Wednesday.

Rotarians look for campers

The Rotary Youth Leadership Awards is an intensive four-day leadership program for outstanding 11th grade leaders who will be seniors the year following the camp. Rotary conducts RYLA as a reward for outstanding youth by recognizing them as leaders and offering them enhancements to further their leadership ability in order to build a better school, community, and country. Next year’s camp is Feb. 16- 19 (during Presidents Day weekend). Both camps (boys and girls) are in the Oakhurst area. Transportation will be provided by the Tracy Rotary Club to the camp. Two boys and two girls will be selected from Kimball.RYLA applications are available from Mrs. Sillivan in the counseling office. An RYLA informational meeting is set for Oct. 10, and the application deadline is Oct. 13.

Homecoming floats assembled

Class float building for Kimball Homecoming will be held every Tuesday and Thursday from 6 to 8 p.m. in the class adviser’s rooms. Freshmen- Trombley N9

Sophomores- Mason G2

Juniors- Pendleton N1

Seniors- Graham G3

Book club goes graphic

Ms. Schneider, Kimball’s teacher/librarian, is sponsoring a book club for interested students. Every month, there will be a different type of book. The club will meet two times each month, once while members are reading and once when they’re done to discuss the books everyone has been reading. September, it’s all about graphic novels. Students interested in reading and talking about graphic novels should go to the school library to check one out: it has a lot of them, on all kinds of topics, such as biography, LGBTQ+, superheroes, anime and manga, history, careers, true stories, fiction. The book club will meet Wednesday at both lunches and after school. Come join.

Anti-bullying poster celebration

October is anti-bullying month. To celebrate, all students in Tracy schools can participate in the annual

Anti-Bullying Poster Celebration. To be involved, create a 12-inch-by-18-inch poster displaying the theme ”Take a Stand, Lend a Hand, Stop Bullying.” Submissions will be accepted in the office through Sept. 28. For more information, see Mr. Theall in the office.

UOP visits Sept. 28

University of the Pacific representatives will be visiting Kimball during third period Sept. 28 in the Career Center. Interested juniors and seniors must sign up in the Career Center by Wednesday. It is mandatory to sign up and get permission of the third period teacher prior to the visit. Students will not be able to attend without teacher permission.

Freshmen Mentor Tailgate Sept. 29

The annual Freshmen Mentor Tailgate is from 4 to 6 p.m., Sept. 29. It will be in the parking lot next to the N building and have free food, games, and prizes.

Restoration Center adds new day of after-school tutoring

Kimball’s Restoration Center again has a full schedule of after-school tutoring in math, history, science and English. The free tutoring sessions will be in K1 from 1:50 to 4 p.m., Monday, and 3:30 to 5:30 p.m., Tuesday, Wednesday, and Thursday.

Foster youth given college help

The Foster Youth College and Career Exploration is Oct. 19, at Travis Air Force Base, in Sacramento. If interest in the field trip, foster children of at least 16 years old and with a Social Security number should contact Rachel Benzinger at rbenzinger @sjcoe. net or call 209-993-2337.

College financial aid filled out

Planning for college next year? Looking for information about financial aid.  Come to the Cash for College Financial Aid Workshop, from 4 to 7 p.m., Oct. 5, in J7 and J8.  This will be a chance to obtain help filling out the FAFSA application, California Dream Act application, and Cal/Pell grants.

PSAT/NMSQT study guide on sale

Registration for the Preliminary SAT and National Merit Qualifying Test has begun at Kimball for juniors and seniors only. The test costs $20 and will be given from 8:30 a.m. to 12:30 p.m., Oct. 11, in the Athletic Complex. Students who pre-ordered their study guides should see the bookkeeper before school or after school and/or during lunch period. October 6 is the final day to register for the exams and purchase a study guide. For more information, see student counselors.

Work permits must be renewed

All work permits from summer or last school year have expired. Please come into the counseling office as soon as possible to get your new work permit request, or renewal for your current job from Mrs. Sillivan.

Do’s, don’ts of recycle bins

Here’s Kimball’s school recycling do’s and don’ts.

Do:

-Use the blue bins to recycle

-Empty bottles/cans completely

-Recycle bottles

-Recycle cans -Recycle glass Don’t:

-Use the blue bins for trash

-Use the blue bins for food

-Put full or partially full bottles/cans in the blue bins

-Dump liquids in the blue bins

Interns sought by political group

The Congressional Leadership Fund, a conservative political organization working to support Republican Party candidates, is seeking summer and fall interns from Kimball High. Drew Thompson, Modesto field director for the organization, says the internship is great for students who wish to be more involved in politics and build their resume. The organization will work with students to get them high school/college credit and give recommendations to future employers or colleges. E-mail Thompson at dthompson@theclf.org for more details.

Dress code enforced

Kimball’s student dress code follows school district policy, and in doing so, is the same as at other Tracy high schools. Unacceptable clothing choices include, but are not limited to, the following:

Crude or vulgar lettering or images of: weapons, occult messages, drugs, tobacco, alcoholic beverages, racial/ethnic slurs, unauthorized group affiliation, sexually suggestive graphics, on shirts, sweatshirts and other apparel are not acceptable.

Such items as beach attire, nightwear, bedroom slippers, short shorts/skirts or unsafe accessories are not allowed.

No spandex or lycra material shorts, skirts, pants, or dresses.

No bottoms or splits are to be shorter than where the student’s fingertips reach when the arms and fingertips are fully extended on the sides.

Any clothing/accessory that may be deemed dangerous, i.e. chains, steel-toed boots, items with spikes or studs etc. are unacceptable.

Clothes, apparel or attire must be sufficient to conceal undergarments at all times. Clothing, apparel or attire that fails to provide adequate coverage of the body, including but not limited to see-through, fishnet fabrics, tops that do not touch the top of the pants/skirts, tank tops, tube tops, halter tops, bandeaus, racer backs, off the shoulder or low cut tops or dresses and sagging pants are not allowed.   No holes or tears that are revealing (i.e. tears above the finger tips).

Tank tops or T-shirts with cut outs under the arms are not allowed.

Clothing must fit or may be no larger than one size bigger.

Pants must be worn at the waist, not at the hips or thighs or below the buttocks.

No hair rollers, shower caps, bandannas, hair nets, skull caps, wave caps, or other such grooming items are allowed.

Students are not permitted to wear hats or other head coverings in class, assemblies, or at any indoor school function.

Sunglasses are not to be worn in the classroom.

Any student who deviates from the accepted standards set forth in this policy will be required to prepare properly for the classroom before being admitted and receive a dress code violation. Refusal to cooperate will result in disciplinary action.

K bathrooms restricted

The K Building bathrooms are only open to students before and after school and at lunch. Check your classroom bathroom pass to see which bathroom you can use.

Get to class on time

Students are urged to review the tardy policy in Kimball’s student handbook on page 21. The tardy count is by semester not by quarter. Students, make sure you are getting to classes on time since the school has six-minute passing periods.

Move away from quad after school

Students must move out of the campus quad area to the front of Kimball at least 25 minutes after the last bell. Students who have a club, athletic or tutoring obligation should be on the way to the designated activity by then.

Cell phone ban in bathrooms

Kimball’s cell phone ban in the classroom extends to the hallways and bathrooms when students are out of the classroom during classroom hours.

Don’t go past blue line

Blue lines have been painted on the pavement on the Kimball quad. Students need to stay within the boundary blue lines during lunch time. No student should be crossing the blue line unless he or she has a pass to attend a club meeting or are going to the library.

Don’t leave books in class

If a book is checked out to you, it is your responsibility to keep it with you and in good condition. Do not leave books behind in a classroom, even if your teacher says, “You can leave your books here” and points out a “safe spot.” Students are responsible for any books checked out to them, not their teachers.

Show your ID

Jaguars, be sure to have your student ID card with you at all times on campus.

Parking Permits

Students, please remember to park in the student section of the parking lot and be sure to have your parking pass visible.

Athletes in action  

# Kimball’s junior varsity and varsity football teams are at Sierra High in Manteca today.

# The Jaguar freshman girls’ volleyball team competes in the Stockton Invitational tournament Saturday in the Stockton Arena.